Scientist, Mass Spectrometry
Cygnus Technologies is seeking a Scientist, Mass Spectrometry. Cygnus Technologies are experts in the development and manufacture of custom and generic ELISA commercial kits for the quantification of total Host Cell Protein (HCP) impurities in bioprocessing samples. Cygnus Technologies offers Mass Spectrometry and Chromatography services for the identification of HCPs that co-purify with proteins of interest to support biopharmaceutical clients in performing Antibody Coverage Analysis and HCP Analysis of Process Samples.
Cygnus Technologies is seeking a Scientist to analyze HCP containing samples by quantitative LC-MS bottom-up proteomics. As an integral team player in the Mass Spectrometry and Chromatography group, the Mass Spectrometry Scientist will perform sample preparation, LC-MS operation, data analysis, and report writing. The MS Scientist must have a strong background in sample preparation in proteomics, LC-MS, strong analytical skills, strong oral and written communication skills, and a proven track record of mass spectrometry-based proteomics in an industrial setting.
- Daily operation and support of LC-MS systems in the lab
- Perform LC-MS workflow including sample preparation, method development and execution, data acquisition and analysis, and report writing
- Develop and publish application notes, generate and deliver scientific material for internal and external distribution.
- Contribute and develop quantitative workflows.
- No travel required.
- Experience in quantitative LC-MS in complex protein mixtures, such as serum, biologics, biopharmaceuticals, bottom-up proteomics, and discovery proteomics.
- Empirical knowledge of DIA, DDA, DIA-SWATH workflows
- Reproducible sample preparation skills in tryptic digestion, external standard spike-in, and Speedvac concentration.
- Expert in LC-MS statistical data analysis and interpretation.
- Ability to assess robustness, repeatability, precision, accuracy, and spike recovery experiments of LC-MS method.
- Experience in ESI Orbitrap and TOF MS instrumentation.
- Experience in nanoflow, microflow and analytical flow HPLC and UHPLC.
- Experience on AKTA FPLC in lab scale hydrophobic interaction, size exclusion chromatography (SEC), and ion exchange chromatography (IEC).
- Empirical experience in characterizing biotherapeutics using intact (native and denatured) and bottom up approaches for post-translational modifications; glycosylation, deamidation, etc. in an R&D, MSAT, or CRO setting is highly desirable.
- Empirical experience in characterization of recombinant proteins, vaccines, monoclonal antibodies and therapeutic proteins
- Preference for experience on Thermo Fisher HPLC and MS systems.
- Experience using Proteome Discoverer, Xcaliber, and Biopharma Finder.
- Experience developing PRM, SRM, MRM methods and identifying ion retention times.
- Experience in relative and absolute peptide quantification methods using exogenous species and isotopically labeled peptides.
- Ability to pick up new technologies quickly and ultimately troubleshoot independently.
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- 5 years of experience in hands-on LC-MS operation, maintenance, method development and data interpretation.
- Personal values of Integrity, Respect, Motivation, and Innovation.
- Caring for enabling biopharmaceutical companies to ensure their biological drugs are safe and effective.
- Communicate openly and honestly.
- Open mind and eager learner.
- Positive attitude and outlook to improve career.
- Attention to detail and process improvement champion.
- Excitement for developing new LC-MS methods.
- Excellent written, verbal communication, presentation and listening skills in oral and written English are essential.
Cygnus Technologies offers competitive wages and a full benefit package including medical, dental, vision, LTD, and a retirement plan.
Cygnus Technologies is an EEO Employer.
- Degree in Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry or similar Life Science
- PhD and 5 years of experience in LC-MS
- MS and 8 years of experience in LC-MS