Founded in 1997, Cygnus Technologies is a recognized expert providing comprehensive solutions for Host Cell Protein and bioprocess impurity assays. We offer a broad menu of well-qualified, robust generic kits and immunoassay reagents. Over the past 20 years, our products and services have enabled many biopharmaceutical companies to accelerate their biologics process development into scale-up for production. Cygnus Technologies was acquired by Maravai Life Sciences in November 2016. Maravai’s mission is to build a transformative life sciences product company by acquiring outstanding businesses and accelerating their growth.
Cygnus Technologies maintains a friendly and collaborative work environment that fosters creativity and personal growth. We offer full time employees a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits program. Cygnus Technologies is an equal opportunity employer.
We have the following positions available.
Cygnus Technologies is seeking a Senior Scientist to join our growing team. As the Senior Scientist for Virus Like Particle (VLP) Engineering and Production, this position plays a key role in designing/engineering and generating highly expressing cell line constructions and establishing stable clonal cell lines for manufacturing VLP. The ideal candidate must be highly knowledgeable in cellular and molecular biology, virology, cell line engineering and particle analytical technologies. Additionally, this role will be expected to lead scientific initiatives, manage a small team and communicate effectively with others. This position is located in Southport, NC and may require up to 20% travel.
• Designing and construction of VLP’s with the capability for scale-up production and ultra- sensitive quantification in different expression systems including mammalian and insect cell lines.
• Performing transient and stable transfection of different cell lines for VLP production.
• Establishing stable cell lines for production of VLP, evaluation and confirmation of the stability of generated cell lines as well as their characterization.
• Hands-on generation/selection of clonal cell lines for scalable/robust cell culture processes to produce VLP.
• Ability to develop/implement high to throughput analytical methods to apply in establishing and selecting clonal cell lines.
• Implementing high throughput cell line selection/characterization methods for VLP production using shake flasks, microbioreactors, small scale bioreactors and wave bioreactors.
• Follow advances in molecular and cell culture technologies for VLP production and characterization. Utilize literatures and external resources to support internal studies.
• Lead a team to design, execute and evaluate studies.
• Demonstration of scientific creativity, technical proficiency and knowledge of scientific concepts in cell line development and engineering.
• Experience in propagating mammalian and/or insect cells
• In-depth, hands-on experience of generating clonal stable cell lines.
• Extensive molecular and cell culture process development experience to enhance VLP production from multiple expression systems and enable sensitive quantification.
• Experience in general and advanced lab techniques such as molecular cloning and plasmid design and construction, qPCR, ELISA, cell culture, plate-based luciferase and/or enzymatic activity assays, SDS-PAGE/western blotting, etc.
• Effective collaboration/coordination within the team and with other groups.
• Proficient in molecular cloning techniques, such as plasmid construction, RNA, cDNA and genomic DNA preparation, DNA electrophoresis, and Northern and Southern analyses.
• Experience in cell culture techniques/processes using micro- and/or small-scale bioreactors for mammalian and/or insect cells.
• Experience in viral vector or viral vaccine production, as well as familiarity with replication/production biology.
• Prior experience in characterizing viruses, VLP’s etc. through Dynamic Light Scattering, Zeta Potential determination or other.
• Experience in analytical assays including ELISA, Western blot, cell-based assays, qPCR.
• Hands-on experience in molecular biology techniques (RNA/DNA isolation, molecular cloning, plasmid purification, Western blotting, qPCR, RT-qPCR, ELISA)
• Proven track record in vector engineering, viral production (small scale), cell culture, molecular cloning, transfection, luciferase assay, immunostaining, ELISA, and western blot assay
• Familiarity with basic Statistics.
Cygnus Technologies offers competitive wages and a full benefit package including medical, dental, vision, LTD, and a retirement plan.
Cygnus Technologies is an EEO Employer.
Ph.D. or Masters degree in Molecular Biology/Virology or equivalent, with minimum of 8+ years’ experience for Master or 2+ with Ph.D.